It’s very unusual that law enforcement and DAs have so firmly turned their back on the man who holds the position considered by many to be the state’s “top cop.”
Democratic Attorney General Josh Kaul has only been able to get 5 of the state’s 71 Wisconsin district attorneys to support his campaign, laughably calling it a bipartisan “coalition.”
His Republican opponent, Fond du Lac County District Attorney Eric Toney, the president of the Wisconsin District Attorneys Association, has the support of 30 district attorneys, 28 who are sitting DAs and two who are retired.
Furthermore, Kaul has announced zero law enforcement endorsements from police chiefs, police associations or sheriffs, whereas Toney has a long list.
Kaul’s bizarre attempt to turn a measly 5 DAs into a “coalition” is reminiscent of the wording used by Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Mandela Barnes, who initially announced a grand total of 9 law enforcement endorsements before 2 fell off the list (one said he didn’t actually endorse him).
But it’s especially shocking that law enforcement and DAs have so firmly turned their back on the man who holds the position considered by many to be the state’s “top cop.”
Toney is endorsed by over 100 Sheriffs, District Attorneys, and Police Chiefs, and has been unanimously endorsed by the Wisconsin Fraternal Order of Police State Lodge, Milwaukee Police Association, Milwaukee Police Supervisors Organization, and the Kenosha Professional Police Association.
“I’m honored and excited to endorse Eric Toney for attorney general,” Racine County DA Patricia Hanson said. “He’s a proven, tough-on-crime prosecutor who’ll work with local law enforcement to clean up the mess Josh Kaul has made at the Department of Justice. Crime in Wisconsin is surging, and we do not have time for on-the-job training. He’s the only candidate who has managed a team of prosecutors and utilized the resources of the DOJ to keep our communities safe. Eric Toney will make an excellent ‘top cop’ for Wisconsin.”
Kaul’s 5 DA endorsements are Buffalo County DA Tom Bilski. Jefferson County District Attorney Monica Hall, Wood County DA Craig Lambert, Kenosha County DA Michael Graveley, and La Crosse County DA Tim Gruenke.
Toney’s DA endorsements are:
- Brown County County DA David Lasee
- Calumet County DA Nathan Haberman
- Clark County DA Melissa Inlow
- Chippewa County DA Wade Newall
- Dodge County DA District Kurt Klomberg
- Douglas County DA Mark Fruehauf
- Green County DA Craig Nolan
- Iron County DA Matthew Tingstad
- Juneau County DA Kenneth Hamm
- Lafayette County DA Jenna Gill
- Langlade County DA Elizabeth Gebert
- Lincoln County DA Galen Bayne-Allison
- Manitowoc County DA Jacalyn LaBre
- Marinette County DA DeShea Morrow
- Monroe County DA Kevin Croninger
- Outagamie County DA Melinda Tempelis
- Oconto County DA Edward Burke
- Ozaukee County DA Attorney Adam Gerol
- Polk County DA Jeff Kemp
- Richland County DA Jennifer Harper
- Racine County DA Patricia Hanson
- Shawano County DA Greg Parker
- Sheboygan County DA Joel Urmanski
- St. Croix DA Karl Anderson
- Washington County DA District Mark Benson
- Waukesha County DA Susan Opper
- Waupaca County DA Veronica Isherwood
- Winnebago County DA Eric Sparr
- Winnebago County DA Christian Gossett*
- Fond du Lac County DA Tom Storm*
See the rest of Toney’s law enforcement endorsements here. We’d link to the rest of Kaul’s, but he doesn’t have any.